The Australian Council for Human Rights Education (ACHRE), formerly known as National Committee for Human Rights Education, was established in 1999 by a group of committed and dedicated volunteers to actively pursue human rights education in Australia in response to the UN Decade on Human Rights Education (HRE). ACHRE is registered in Victoria under the Associations Incorporations Act 1981.
The key achievements of the council include:
- The registration of the council in Victoria under the Associations Incorporations Act 1981.
- Establishment of State and Territory networks to promote nationwide the goals and program of activities of the Citizen for Humanity project.
- Provision of online human rights educational materials for primary and secondary schools community organizations as well as for government representatives and officials.
- The Citizen For Humanity Project launched at Parliament House Canberra in 2002. This is focused on teaching about the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
- Establishment in 2007 of the National Centre for Human Rights Education at RMIT University in Melbourne.
- Submissions to Federal State and Territory Governments on human rights education in Australia.
- Initiation and co-sponsorship of national and international conferences, seminars and workshops, including the International Conference on Human Rights Education "Educating for Human Rights Peace and Intercultural Dialogue" held in Sydney,Australia (2010), Durban,South Africa (2011), Cracow,Poland (2012) and Taipei,Taiwan (2013)
- Participation in international human rights education initiatives such as provision of HR training in developing countries and participation in international fora and conferences.
The NCHRE Dinner Table at the 2010 National Conference
His Excellency General the Honourable Sir Peter Cosgrove AK MC (Retd) Governor-General of the Commonwealth of Australia
Mr Patrick Dodson
Hon. Michael Kirby AC CMG
Her Excellency Dame Quentin Bryce AD CVO
ACHRE Committee of Management Office Bearers
Dr. Sev Ozdowski AM FAICD
Dr. Lynda Ann Blanchard
Ms. Pera Wells
Assoc. Prof. Joseph Zajda
Mr. Vincenzo Andreacchio
Dr. Madeleine Laming
ACHRE Committee of Management Ordinary Members
ACHRE Honorary Consultants
Professor James Arvanitakis, PhD
The Hon Elizabeth Evatt AC
Rt Hon Sir Ninian Stephen KG, AK
Assoc. Prof. Anthony Taylor
HE Ms Penelope Wensley AC